M- F 7:30-5:30​ |  Sat 8-5 ​ |  Sun Noon – 5

Pets and Plants – What you need to know

Cat ready to jump on chair

We all love house plants, but you might not realize how toxic many of them can be for your pets. Before bringing in any new plants to your house, it’s important to know which ones are safe for your curious furry friends. 

As the seasons change, be careful with any plants you are moving in and out of your home. If you have recently moved any new plants into your house and you notice that your pets are interested in these plants, make sure to leave them in your garage or put them high up out of reach. 

Toxic Plants for Pets

The ASPCA has put together a full list of toxic plants, so you can keep your pet safe and healthy. Here are some of the most common houseplants that are toxic for your animal:

  • Aloe plants
  • Most ferns
  • American rubber plants
  • Spider plant
  • Chinese jade
  • Cornstalk plant
  • Poinsettias
  • Lilies
  • Basil and chives

Outside of anything you’d have in a pot, some flowers have also proved poisonous to our furry friends such as:

  • Carnations
  • Tulips
  • Baby’s breath
  • Eucalyptus

Signs and Symptoms Your Pet Has Ingested a Poisonous Plant

It’s always serious when pets have ingested something poisonous such as a house plant. Here’s what to look for if you suspect your animal has eaten something they shouldn’t have: 

  • Anxiousness
  • Muscle tremors
  • Sweating
  • Seizures
  • Weakness
  • Trouble breathing
  • Rapid heart rate
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea

If your pet experiences any of these symptoms or if you think your pet has ingested a toxic plant species, give us a call right away.

0

October 23, 2023

You may also like…